How to get up your online business up and running before you go broke.
The whole purpose of getting your website up and running is to start making money. Online businesses may take a lot less overhead than a brick-and-mortar shop, but you’re still going to face start up costs and what could be a long delay between going live and earning a paycheck.
You came here to start making money with an online business. It’s going to take work and sacrifice, but the potential is unlimited. The problem is… how do you get through the start up costs and lack of income until you get on your feet?
PATIENCE is a lifesaver if you don’t have a bundle stashed under your mattress. Until you’ve got your web site live and traffic flowing in, you may need to do it as a side-job. Keep doing whatever pays the bills and work on it in your off-hours. It will happen slower, but without the pain and stress you might otherwise go through.
GET IN WITH AS LOW AN OVERHEAD AS YOU CAN MUSTER.
There are so many free online products these days that you can get a website up and running for almost nothing.
- Take advantage of free trial periods for software.
- Look for online mentors instead of buying tutorials.
- Use free online tools like graphics, at least until you can afford to upgrade.
- Use your local library’s online and computer system until you can afford scanners, printers, or even a decent computer.
- Do business on your supplier’s and customer’s dimes. Buy from vendors who offer delayed payments. Set up sales so that customers pay in advance and pay for any shipping costs.
- Be your own labor. Write your own content, design your own website, do your own marketing.
DECIDE WISELY when choosing how you’ll generate income. Concentrate on selling products or services that don’t cost you anything. How does that work?
- Sell your services as a consultant or expert. There are specialty niches all over online marketing. You don’t need a college degree, you just need to do your research. Learn everything you can about certain online niches like affiliate marketing, blog writing, or web design and start a forum that baits visitors into buying your expertise.
- Do nothing but write blog articles and sign up as an affiliate for companies that have products or services in line with what you write about.
- Create a site that gathers pools of particular businesses or services and charge membership fees to them.
Money is a major reason that people don’t even try to get a business going, even a lower overhead online business. For every entrepreneur there’s a handful of employees who’ve found it easier and cheaper to make money for somebody else. They’ve limited themselves to what others are willing to pay them, not what they could generate on their own. But that’s not you. Suck in your gut, grit your teeth and make it happen.